This simple recipe for Clam and Seaweed Soup requires just five ingredients and is ready in just 35 minutes, making it a great meal option when you are in a bit of a hurry. A little planning ahead is required as you need to allow the clams to soak in saltwater for at least 24 hours in the refrigerator. This recipe walks you through the process of creating your own seaweed and clam broths that serve as the basis for this clam soup. Serve with crusty bread to dip.
The ingredient of Clam and Seaweed Soup
- 3/4 pound clams in their shell
- 1/2 cup seaweed dried
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 garlic clove finely diced
- 2 1/8 cups water
- crusty bread
The instruction how to make Clam and Seaweed Soup
- The day before, set the clams in cold, salted water to soak for 24 hours refrigerated.
- The next day, cover the seaweed with hot water for 5 minutes. Pour out the water. Repeat.
- Set the seaweed in boiling water for 10 minutes until tender. Reserve both seaweed and water.
- In a pot that has a lid you can use later, melt the butter and add the diced garlic.
- Once the garlic is tender, add in the drained clams and the 1/2 liter of fresh water. Raise the heat and add the lid to the pot.
- Let the clams open and release their juices. After a few minutes, start checking the pot for open clams and remove them to another container to they do not overcook.
- Line a colander with cheesecloth or coffee filters and set it over another pot. Strain the clam broth.
- Pour the clam broth into the seaweed pot. If possible, fish out the pieces of garlic from the colander and add them too to the pot.
- Heat up the seaweed and clam broth. Once hot, turn off the flame and add the clams back in to warm up.
- Serve immediately with crusty bread as an accompaniment.
Nutritions of Clam and Seaweed Soupcalories: NutritionInformation
carbohydrateContent: 190 calories
cholesterolContent: 7 grams
fatContent: 75 milligrams
proteinContent: 8 grams
saturatedFatContent: 23 grams
sodiumContent: 3.5 grams
: 150 milligrams