This hearty soup is chock full of vegetables (leek, onion, carrot, garlic, celery) that get pureed with the tomatoes for a creamy consistency, without any actual cream (except for the optional dollop of sour cream). The shrimp shells are also cooked along with the above to impart seafood flavor. The best part of the soup just might be the shrimp that are coated and fried to a delightfully crispy crust.
The ingredient of Cream of Shrimp Soup
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 leek chopped
- 1 onion peeled and chopped
- 1 carrot peeled and chopped
- 1 celery stalk Trimmed and chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 dash cognac substitute with vermouth or white wine
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 16 large shrimp peeled and deveined
- 6 1/3 cups fish stock
- sour cream optional
- 3/4 cup mixed nuts
- 1 egg white beaten
The instruction how to make Cream of Shrimp Soup
- Add the vegetable oil in a pot on low heat. Add the leek, onion, carrot, celery, and garlic and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add the cognac and cook until the alcohol evaporates.
- Add the tomato puree and half of the shrimp, including the shells. Add the stock and simmer 25 to 30 minutes.
- Strain the liquid into a bowl Season with a pinch of salt and add a dollop of sour cream, if a creamy texture is desired. Add back to the pot and keep warm on low heat..
- Crush the mixed nuts until powdery.
- Coat the remaining shrimp with the beaten egg white and the mixed nuts. Fry in plenty of hot oil and serve with the soup.
Nutritions of Cream of Shrimp Soupcalories: NutritionInformation
carbohydrateContent: 150 calories
cholesterolContent: 7 grams
fatContent: 5 milligrams
fiberContent: 11 grams
proteinContent: 2 grams
saturatedFatContent: 7 grams
sodiumContent: 1.5 grams
sugarContent: 820 milligrams
: 2 grams